The process of becoming healthier or regaining your health can be downright hard and, even though you didn’t want to, you’ve given up too many times to count. Your intentions have always been good and your doctor has shared all of the wonderful benefits of living a healthier lifestyle, but staying on track has been impossible. There was that time you ate nothing but cabbage for 21 days and lost 10 pounds, but then Auntie made caramel cake on the 22nd day and it was all downhill from there. Oh, and the time a group of friends decided to walk every day, but by week three, it was over. Then, there was the time you walked into the gym and felt like you had just entered the Mr./Mrs. Universe contest.
In a world filled with so much noise concerning weight loss, looks, quick fixes, and poor health, maybe you should take a deep breath and consider hiring a person trainer. WAIT! Before you talk about why a trainer isn’t for you, just hear me out. I’ve been on both sides of this thing. I’ve worked with a trainer and I’m now a certified trainer. And let me say, hiring a trainer was one of the best decisions I made.
Here are five simple benefits to hiring a personal trainer. (from my personal experiences as a trainer and a trainee)
- Clear and simple goals. The first thing a good certified personal trainer will do is talk with you about your goals, your medical history (you should see your medical doctor before beginning a weight loss program), your current weight and measurements, and a timeline to meeting your goals. A trainer can eliminate the guess work and noise of “quick fix” gimmicks, teach you how to set short term and long term goals, and track your progress.
- Avoid injury. Injuries can happen. A personal trainer can teach you the proper way to warm up and cool down your Your trainer will teach you the proper way to do exercises and how to increase said exercises while decreasing the possibility of injuring yourself.
Remember, your body is doing things it hasn’t done in a long time (high school gym class, college, since the wedding, since the baby), but you’re determined and you are willing to fight through the pain. But wait, is that soreness or is that pain? Your trainer knows!
- A certified personal trainer will help you see results swiftly IF you follow the plan. Results vary dependent upon the person and the amount of work that is put in. Your trainer will track your weight, measurements, BMI, endurance, and gains. Basically, your trainer will teach you that the scale is not the sole indicator of your progress; it is just part of the big picture.
Have you ever looked at the scale, gave up and headed for a bag of chips? Well, your trainer knows how to get results in a variety of ways. Your trainer may also be able to give you advise on healthier snack options. Once you get with a good trainer, those chips won’t stand a chance!
- Your own personal cheerleader. Okay, this is probably my favorite benefit. Getting healthy impacts every part of your life, but the biggest impact can be with yourself and friends and family. Some people will get it and support your efforts. Think – “You are really doing! Keep up the good work.” Others will complain that you’ve changed and question your motives. Think – “So you’re just eating rabbit food now?” Then there is the little voice in your head. Think – “There is no way I can do this! What was I thinking?”
Your certified personal trainer is invested in your overall health and well-being. Your trainer knows the process of changing your life includes dealing with successes and failures. On those bad days, your trainer will remind you of how far you’ve come and that a setback is just an opportunity to be greater later. On that day you flip your first tractor tire or complete your first mile, your trainer will understand why you’re so excited and will be the first to lead the cheers! A good trainer genuinely believes in you and will let you know it! You’re not going to want to give up with that kind of support and encouragement.
- Boredom is not an option. Did you notice that I said “flip your first tractor tire” in the cheerleader section? Yeah, that’s real! A quality personal trainer will keep you on your toes with new workouts. You won’t have to worry about spending 30 minutes on the treadmill. With a good trainer, you could be doing anything from pushing a truck, going a few rounds with a heavy bag, doing a little yoga and Pilates, slamming some medicine balls, or lifting weights in addition to some awesome cardio. A good trainer knows it is all part of the journey to get you to your goals!
So, there you have it! A really good certified personal trainer may be the very thing to take you from beginner to fit and fabulous or even a total BEAST!